Kaufman County Divorce Lawyer: Getting Your Child Support Lowered

If you’ve lost your job and need your child support lowered, I can help you through the process. We get many Kaufman county residents in our office with this very same problem, and we have helped many get their child support lowered. I would like to sit down with you and discuss your specific situation, so please call my office at (972) 564-4644 to set up a confidential consultation with me, Brett Talley, your Kaufman County Family Lawyer.

In order to lower child support, a petition to modify child support must be filed with the court. To oversimplify, you can file such a petition if

  1. It has been three years since the previous order, or
  2. The circumstances of the child or a parent have significantly changed.

G & G logoIf you’ve lost your job and need your child support lowered as a result, your circumstances have obviously gone through a significant change. What you’re asking the court to do is lower your child support according to the guidelines but based on what you are now making. In order to do so, you’ll have to provide proof of what your new income is. If you’ve lost your job and have been unable to find new employment, the court will often set child support at an amount in line with minimum wage which usually means a little over $200 per month in child support is owed.

I understand that child support can often be a heavy burden when you lose your job. And unfortunately there’s really no way to get it lowered on your own outside of court or in a timely manner. I’m familiar with this difficulty that the legal system provides, and I will help you get your child support lowered as fast as the judicial system will allow. Again, please call my office at (972) 564-4644 to set up a consultation to discuss your Kaufman County child support issue.